Individual Assistance Now Available Until June 19 for Nebraskans


Individual Assistance Now Available Until June 19 for Nebraskans

At the request of Governor Pete Ricketts, homeowners, renters and business owners in Nebraska counties designated for federal assistance now have until June 19 to register for federal assistance.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster grants for qualified homeowners and renters may help pay for basic repairs to make a home habitable, provide temporary rental assistance, and provide assistance for serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other sources.

How to register with FEMA:

  • Online, visit
  • By phone, call FEMA’s toll-free registration line at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY).
  • On a smart phone, download the FEMA app and click on “disaster resources,” then “apply for assistance online.”

Applicants will need the following to apply:

  • Social Security Number;
  • Daytime telephone number;
  • Current mailing address;
  • Address and zip code of the damaged property;
  • Proof of ownership and occupancy, such as a utility bill; and
  • Private insurance information, if available.

After registering for disaster assistance with FEMA, homeowners and renters may also be contacted by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to apply for a low-interest disaster loan. SBA disaster loans provide the largest source of long-term federal disaster recovery funds for survivors.

Read More

FEMA Public Assistance Deadline Extended

The deadline to file a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) has been extended until June 20, 2019. 

Under FEMA’s Public Assistance grant program, applicants may be eligible for reimbursement for debris removal and emergency protective measures as well as the repair, replacement or restoration of disaster-damaged publicly owned facilities and the facilities of certain private nonprofit organizations such as houses of worship at a federal cost share of 75 percent.


The program also offers more protection of these damaged facilities from future events by providing 406 hazard-mitigation measures during the recovery process.

Government entities are encouraged to submit a request for public assistance to FEMA.  RPAs must be submitted in Grants Portal.  If you have not received an email for the Grants Portal please call (402) 429-3389.

There are several categories of work eligible for FEMA reimbursement:

  • (Categories A-B) the cost of emergency services and debris removal, and
  • (Categories C-G) for roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, parks and recreational areas.

Read More


Information Links: